|Image gallery (4)|
They also scream if they do not see prey for a while and are still above ground. Their scream is deep and human-like. They tend to hiss at Alice when provoked.
American McGee's Alice
Antlions first appeared during the Wonderland Woods and were small enemies that were quick to the fray. They mostly spend their time underground until provoked, and were mostly seen in Fungiferous Flora. They tended to stand safely by the side of their more developed brethren, the Army Ants.
Antlions possess large mandibles and multiple legs, with two legs coming out of their mouth. They are a dirty caramel brown color and contain a large beak with hundreds of piercing teeth. They also have a scorpion-like tail which trembles behind them.
The Antlion has two primary attacks, both of which are melee:
- Burrow – The Antlion buries itself underground, waiting for its prey to walk by.
- Bite – They bite Alice fiercely when she comes close.
Antlions are fairly sensitive towards a fair dose of the Ice Wand, but they are still incredibly fast. As they contain no ranged attack, it is helpful to stay far away from them, but not so far that they are out of range. It should also be noted that staying away from them may be difficult as they are fast, but staying on ground they cannot reach helps considerably.
- In the Beyond the Wall level, as Alice jumps around to get up to the portal on the higher platform, the pillars in front support a mural in which a painting of Alice and the Queen of Hearts are displayed in the center, flanked by Army Ants on the left and Antlions on the right.
- The Antlion may have been based on the Lion from Through the Looking-Glass.
- In the American McGee's Alice Official Strategy Guide, their name is spelled "Ant Lion".
- The Ice Snark in Alice: Madness Returns acts similar to the Antlion.