|Based on||Hobby horse|
|Image gallery (12)|
|“|| Can knockback and knockdown even the heaviest of enemies.
The Hobby Horse is one of Alice Liddell's weapons. It is used as a large hammer-like weapon for more heavy duty-foes and enemies with tough defenses. The weapon appears to possess a living quality as it neighs when used.
Alice: Madness Returns
After being knocked out by Jack Splatter, Alice returned to Wonderland and had arrived in Tundraful by falling from the sky. She moved further in the area and noticed an Ice Snark before the creature dived back in the ice. Along the way, she discovered one of the frozen carcasses of the participants of the Caucus Race.
After she managed to get past the Yeti's strong breath of wind, another carcass was present near the entrance of a cavern. She went inside and found the Hobby Horse. Subsequently, a group of Ice Snarks appeared and attacked Alice. After finishing them off, she was able to continue her journey in Tundraful.
Being very heavy, it had a lot of power behind it when it fell down on foes or the ground, and the burst of force that was created when it hit harmed nearby enemies. It was also powerful enough to break the defensive moves of most enemies. It can also be used with the Vorpal Blade in a combo, giving a lot of damage, and break weak surfaces like the Clockwork Bomb.
However, being so heavy, the Hobby Horse had its disadvantages. Unlike the light Vorpal Blade which resulted in quick slashes, Alice can only lift up the Hobby Horse, which meant that she can only take slow swings with it. These slow attacks left Alice open to other enemies, even when she was performing a combo. Also, due to its weight, Alice cannot move in different directions while she was attacking. It cannot break the blocks of the larger, stronger enemies either.
The Knightmare handled the same as the original weapon, but every time Alice made a successful hit, it restored a quarter of a Rose in her health.
The Hobby Horse changed its appearance through upgrading:
- Level 1: A classic-looking hobby horse made from light brown wood. It had a blank expression and round eyes with light blue wheels, rope reins and "collar detail" around the neck. Its mane was made from a piece of rope.
- Level 2: Made from red metal, with a red-and-white-striped stick and "collar," a round studded weight where the wheels should be. The horse head had an enraged expression, blue leather reins, and a red and white mane made from segmented pieces of curved metal.
- Level 3: Black metal body and head with red nostrils and red glowing eyes, black reins, a spine-segmented stick, and a shell-like weight at the end. Although the mane was metal, it looked more like a real mane with flame-like curls.
- Level 4: A "hobby unicorn" with a silver body and head. The head had gold glowing eyes, nostrils and a single horn protruding from the forehead. The weight was pointed, resembling a diamond, and the rein was made from white leather and chains. The mane appears longer and more wild.
In Hysteria mode, the Hobby Horse is bloody and bandaged. Like her other weapons, the Hobby Horse is also twice as strong.
The Knightmare somewhat resembled a skeletal version of the level 4 Hobby Horse. The mane was made from a spinal column, and a purple flame emanated out of the eye sockets. Antlers connected with the skull, and a horn jutted out, slightly above the eye sockets. The Knightmare also gave bonus healing to Alice Liddell whenever she made a successful hit to an enemy, however, this effect was only active while she was using it.
- The name of the Knightmare was a play of the word "nightmare," a scary dream, relating to the fearful appearance of the weapon, but it also contained the words "knight," a Middle Age warrior who followed the code of chivalry, and "mare," another name for a female horse.
- This weapon is based on a traditional child's toy called a hobby horse, or a cock horse. They were particularly popular during the days before cars, and allowed children to pretend they were riding a real horse. They were made from a straight stick, which made up the body, and a fake horse head usually made from wood or stuffed fabric.
- The hobby horse may have reins, a mane made from rope or hair, and a small wheel or wheels attached to the bottom end of the stick that help the child move it along; the Level 1 appearance of the weapon is heavily based on the traditional look of the toy. The word "hobby" can mean "a small or middle-sized horse", "an ambling or pacing horse" or "a pony".
- It is the second, short-range melee she gains in the game – the other being the Vorpal Blade.
- In the unused audio, Alice mentions that she attempted to hit Nan Sharpe with a Hobby Horse when she was younger, ever so slightly missing her and hitting the dry wall, hence why one has manifested as a weapon in Wonderland. Alice also referred to one during her adventures in Through the Looking-Glass to the White Knight.
- Its appearances are based on the horses of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
- Two Knight chess pieces are present on each side of the location of the Hobby Horse in Tundraful.