|Based on||Pepper grinder|
|Game||Alice: Madness Returns|
There is a special DLC version of this weapon called the Octo-grinder.
American McGee's Alice Edit
To get the Mock Turtle's shell back from the Duchess, Alice had to face her in combat. During the fight, the Duchess used a pepper grinder to shoot black pepper at Alice. However, in the end the pepper was the Duchess's downfall, as it made her sneeze so hard, her head exploded.
Alice: Madness Returns Edit
Alice met the Duchess in the Vale of Tears, who gave her the Pepper Grinder to collect pig snouts, the current delicacy that the Duchess favored.
In exchange for collecting snouts, Alice can keep the grinder, making it her second weapon, and the Duchess will send her baskets from time to time, which contained gold teeth and roses as payment.
In battle, the Pepper Grinder can take out enemies from a long range, and from different levels, making Alice safer from damage at a distance. It can also reach enemies that fly from the ground, unlike the other weapons. However, with extensive use, the grinder can overheat, like the Teapot Cannon, and become temporarily unusable for a short period of time until it cools down. Although, it was not a problem during Hysteria as it does not overheat. Most enemies can block its projectiles, sending the pepper corns flying back, and Alice cannot defend herself while attacking, which was a real problem when using it at close range.
The DLC version of the grinder, the Octo-grinder, handles the same as the original weapon, but with an increased overheat limit and provides double the ammo.
The Pepper Grinder looks like a manual burr grinder, with a crank handle at the top and pig-like features carved into the body; the bottom of the grinder, where the pepper corn shot out, acts as the pig's snout.
The Pepper Grinder can be upgraded four times, each changing the rate of fire, cool-down time, attack power and appearance:
- Level 1: A classic tanned wooden grinder with metal detailing and animated facial-features of a pig lightly carved into the wood, including round eyes, ears, and an open mouth with blunt teeth.
- Level 2: Made from dark wood with black metal detailing. The pig's face now has deeper engravings and an angry expression, including furrowed eyebrows and sharper teeth.
- Level 3: Made from red and gold metal, the body of the grinder looks more like the shape of a pig, with ears and a pair of feet sticking out. The barrel is larger in proportion to the "head" of the pig, which has adopted an even more vicious appearance than before.
- Level 4: A fatter, warthog-like appearance made from black and silver metal. The body of grinder is now a full-bodied pig, gaining four legs and the crank becoming the tail. The eyes and mouth glow like red fire, and long, pointy tusks are present in the lower jaw. The nose has a silver ring piece through the "nostrils."
The Octo-grinder was not based on a form of a pig, but a fleshy-pink octopus with black eyes, sticking its head and tentacles out of an orange and white spiral shell. Unlike the Pepper Grinder, it used octopus ink instead of pepper. The handle was made from black metal, with an anchor-shape on the end.
The Octo-grinder also gave a bonus of increased maximum ammo, allowing Alice to fire longer without having the weapon overheat.
- The Pepper Grinder could have been inspired by Alice's first encounter with the Duchess in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, whose kitchen was full of pepper, making everyone, apart from the Cheshire Cat, foul-tempered and sneeze uncontrollably.
- The Duchess' cook was putting excessive amounts of pepper into her cooking, and everywhere she went people would start to sneeze. In the original illustrations of the book, the Cook can be seen holding something that looks like a pepper grinder, meaning that it could have been hers to begin with.
- It is possible that this pepper grinder is the same one the Duchess used against Alice the last time they met.
- The weapon's resemblance of a pig may be because of its purpose of collecting pig noses, and being linked to the Duchess.