The Teapot Cannon is one of Alice's weapons in Alice: Madness Returns. It is the second long-range, gun-like weapon she gains (the first being the Pepper Grinder), and is a cannon-like device that fires out tea infuser balls that explode into steaming hot tea, similar to water-balloons.
There is a DLC version of this weapon available called the Catnip Cannon.
It is suggested that it was created by the Mad Hatter, so it's likely the shape of the cannon is inspired by his obsession with tea, which is supported by the pressure gauge resembling a clock, given his equally crazed obsession with time and gearworks. It also says it was created in the Hatter's Domain on the lower hand right corner at the weapon's poster.
Alice: Madness Returns Edit
Alice receives this weapon during her quest to find Caterpillar. The cannon has a lot of power behind it, and can damage and kill most enemies with ease in battle; it can kill a Drifting Ruin in one hit but it will not drop anything. It can be "charged" to fire a much more powerful attack. It also has an "area of effect" on the ground created by the tea, which can still damage foes who stand in it until it fades away. It can also be used to destroy barricades that the Clockwork Bomb and the Hobby Horse can't reach.
However, the cannon has many disadvantages: firing is slow, and enemies can easily dodge the tea, mainly flying enemies, and to achieve maximum power, the cannon must be charged for a while, which leaves Alice defenseless to attacks. A little like the Pepper Grinder, the cannon must be cooled down after 4 or 5 shoots.
The DLC version of the cannon, called the Catnip Cannon, handles the same as the original, but can deal 50% more damage to enemies than the original.
As the name suggests, the cannon looks like a teapot, or an old metal kettle. A clock face in inserted into the side of the belly of the pot, releases steam, and it shoots pocket watch-like projectiles from its large spout. As it upgrades, the appearance of the cannon and the color of the tea changes:
- Level 1: Black metal teapot with silver detailing, and a blue clock face. The pocket watches are black and round, with blue faces. It releases white steam.
- Level 2: A slightly taller teapot made from dark green metal and gold detailing. The clock face is light green, and releases matching pocket watches and black steam.
- Level 3: A silver and black tall teapot with a purple clock face. The matching pocket watch has more detailing, and it releases black steam.
- Level 4: A gold teapot gargoyle with a red-and-gold clock face. It has horns on its lid, and its spout is the gargoyle's head with a mouth with sharp teeth. The pocket watches are studded with spikes, and it releases red steam.
Catnip Cannon Edit
The appearance of the Catnip Cannon is based on the Cheshire Cat. It is silver and covered in black markings. The clock face is replaced with the Cheshire Cat's eye and maniac grin. The Cat's tail acts as the handle, his ears are the lid, and one of his paws is the spout. The steam from its projectile attacks is in a faint impression of the Cheshire Cat's face.
- Catnip is a nickname given to the plant Nepeta cataria, which is mostly sold as a harmless recreational substance for pet cats, as about 50% of cats are affected by the smell of the plant, mostly soothing the animal. It can also be used in herbal medicinal practices for human, and can be consumed as tea.
- Catnip Cannon is one of the two DLC items to be styled after the Cheshire Cat, the other being a dress.