|The Art of Alice: Madness Returns|
|Publication date||April 27, 2011|
The Art of Alice: Otherlands
Publisher summary Edit
Legendary game designer American McGee created one of the most visually arresting games of all time in "Alice." Eleven years later, McGee returns with a sequel just as groundbreaking as his critically acclaimed classic—"Alice: Madness Returns!"
Just in time for Madness Returns, Dark Horse and Spicy Horse studio invite Alice fans to take a journey through the wonderland of American McGee’s imagination for an unprecedented look at the creation of this magnificent and disturbing world. With an introduction by McGee, "The Art of Alice" offers an intimate look into the stunning and terrifying artwork behind this blockbuster reinterpretation of Lewis Carroll’s enduring masterpiece!
Introduction by American McGee Edit
- McGee talks about the creation of American McGee's Alice and Alice: Madness Returns, the formation of Spicy Horse, and introduces the reader to the book. Dated December 2010.
Chapter 1: Preproduction Edit
- A look at the preproduction stage for the game, and how the artists found the style and look they were looking for.
- A gallery of very early concepts and ideas for Madness Returns, most of which didn't make the cut during development.
Chapter 2: Alice and Her Dress Edit
- Talking about the troubles that the artists found in bringing the main character, Alice Liddell into high resolution for the modern age.
- Artwork of the various looks and costumes Alice went through during the cause of development.
- A brief look at how the team wanted Alice to move and interact with the environment.
- A gallery of skins for the weapons featured in the game, and some concept art for early weapon ideas.
Chapter 3: London Edit
- Concepts for London, Alice's world outside of Wonderland, and the characters she would meet there, as well as elements that appear in London that would link to events in Wonderland.
Chapter 4: Wonderland Edit
- Artwork for the environments and characters of Wonderland. The gallery is split into small sections, representing the different provinces of the world: the Vale of Tears/Vale of Doom, Hatter's Domain, the Deluded Depths, Oriental Grove (named "The Mysterious East" in book), Queensland, Rutledge Asylum ("The Asylum"), the Dollhouse, and the Infernal Train.
Chapter 5: Cinematics Edit
- A look at how the 2D illustrated cinematic cutscenes where created.
Chapter 6: Odds and Ends Edit
- A written conclusion to the book by Ken Wong, dated December 2010.
- A few promotional images for Madness Returns, and rejected ideas for title logos.
- Color scripts for the five main areas of Wonderland.
- It has been confirmed that the cinematic sequel to Alice: Madness Returns, Alice: Otherlands, will also have an artbook released as a Kickstarter reward tier. It was named "The Art of Alice: Otherlands" after The Art of Alice: Madness Returns.